The legendary KLH Model Five was first introduced in 1968 and served as the heart and soul of KLH’s success throughout the late 1960’s and 1970’s. At its core was the acoustic suspension design that dominated the loudspeaker industry for decades and made the Model Five one of the best-selling loudspeakers of its era. In 2021, KLH re-introduced the Model Five; building on the original acoustic suspension design and using the most advanced loudspeaker technology available today.
Features of the KLH Model Five Speakers
- Iconic Mid-Century Modern Styling
- Acoustic Suspension Design – The most accurate and linear enclosure design available today
- Three-Position Acoustic Balance Control to tailor the loudspeaker’s output for the most difficult acoustic environments
- Dedicated midrange driver to reproduce the critical mid-frequency band
- Non-Resonant Die-Cast Aluminum Midrange & Woofer Frames
- Machined Aluminum 1” tweeter faceplate
- KLH cabinetry featuring a structurally reinforced ¾” MDF Enclosure
- Thirteen Component network using high quality iron-core inductors & Mylar capacitors
- Each speaker includes its own 5˚ slant riser base made of powder coated 14-gauge steel
- Low-Profile Magnet Attached Grille
- 10-Year Warranty
First introduced in 1954, the acoustic suspension principle has long been regarded as the most accurate of all the loudspeaker designs available. Edgar Villchur and Henry Kloss worked together to bring the original AR-1, and several later models, including the well-known AR-3, to market. Several brands, including KLH, would adopt the acoustic suspension principle and use it in their loudspeakers designs for many years to come. This design principle dominated the speaker market well into the 1970s.
In an acoustic suspension design, the volume of air inside the enclosure serves as a cushion of air, or air spring, to provide a restoring force for the woofer cone. The air inside the enclosure essentially becomes the dominant part of the woofer’s suspension. Since the volume of air inside the enclosure is more linear than the mechanical parts of the woofer’s suspension, this enables the woofer’s diaphragm to move in a more linear fashion. This enables the driver to operate at higher excursions with less distortion than more traditional bass-reflex type systems. Acoustic suspension systems are regarded all over the world for their greater accuracy, tighter bass transients, and exceptional bass resolution and texture.
Dedicated Midrange Driver
The KLH Model Five is a 3-way design featuring a dedicated midrange driver housed in its own internal enclosure. It’s the midrange driver’s responsibility to handle the most significant, middle part, of the audio spectrum. This portion of the audio band contains the vocal and musical instrument fundamentals which are most familiar to the human ear; and where accuracy, or inaccuracies, are most easily detected. In a three-way design, having a dedicated midrange means the driver can be optimized for this specific use since it doesn’t have the additional burden of reproducing lower & higher frequencies in the audio band. This results in truly remarkable clarity of vocals & instruments with less distortion.
What's In The Box?
- Model Five Loudspeaker
- Matte Black Slant Riser Base
- Owner’s Manual
- Frequency Response: 42Hz - 20,000Hz +/- 3dB
- Low Frequency Extension: -10dB @ 32Hz
- In-Room Sensitivity: 90.5dB @ 2.83V / 1M
- Free-field Sensitivity: 87.5dB @ 2.83V / 1M
- Power Handling: 200 Watts / 800 Watts Peak
- Recommended Amplification: 200 Watts to 200 Watts
- In-Room Maximum SPL: 112.3dB
- Impedance: 6 Ohms (3.5 ohm minimum @ 140 Hz)
- Horizontal Dispersion: 140°
- Features: Three-Position Acoustic Balance Control
- Crossover Frequency:
- MF: 380Hz (2nd Order Electro-Acoustic)
- HF: 2,850Hz (2nd Order Electro-Acoustic)
- High-Frequency Driver: 1" Aluminum Dome with Soft Rubber Suspension
- Mid-Frequency Driver: 4" Pulp-Paper Cone with Reverse Roll Rubber Suspension
- Low-Frequency Driver: 10" Pulp-Paper Cone with Reverse Roll Rubber Suspension, 2" Diameter Flat-Wire Voice Coil
- Enclosure Material: Structurally Reinforced 3/4" Medium Density Fiberboard
- Inputs: Five-Way Gold-Plated Binding Posts
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- With Riser Base: 35cm x 87cm x 33cm
- Without Riser Base: 35cm x 66cm x 29.2cm
- With Riser Base: 23.6kg
- Without Riser Base: 20kg
- Included Accessories: 5º Slant Riser Base
I used to have my dad's ancient sealed box speakers from the 70s and I'm not keen on all the "futuristic" design styles of most modern speakers. So when I saw all the glowing reviews of the KLH Model Five as having modern technology in a similar wooden enclosure, I had to check them out.
Scott at CHT Solutions was very happy to let me demo them at his showroom with my amp and DAC and I had a blast playing a big bunch of my CDs through them. I put a deposit on them that day. Scott was an absolute pleasure to deal with.
I won't go over my sonic impressions. They sound fantastic. Scott has posted a bunch of YouTube reviews which go over all that much better than I could.
I will, however, provide one caveat. The reviewers above touch on it, but I think it should be emphasized. These speakers love power. I have been using a 100W amp with them for the past few months. While they sound fine with that amp, I have also demoed some more powerful amps and that's when they really come alive. Think 200-300W minimum.
So when you call Scott for a demo, make sure you also ask him to show you some of his bigger amps at the same time. You'll be so happy you did.
CHT Solutions has been very prompt to respond and ship the items. I will never hesitate to buy from them again. More power to CHT Solutions!Thornleigh, NSW
CHT delivery was incredibly fast, Many thanks all for such an easy purchase process and super fast delivery. 5 stars from meMalaga, WA
Buying from CHT Solutions was easy and their price was great and I would recommend then to anyone seeking good Hi Fi equipment.Woonona, NSW
Fast delivery and great products. Would recommend them to anyone needing great service for sound advice.Truganina, VIC
CHT delivered the unit to South Australia within a couple of days. Amazing! Their phone customer service was professional and courteous. Will happily purchase from them againTranmere, SA